Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Nissan Sylphy TB17

Now there's a new midsize sedan from Nissan that combines the aesthetics of a luxury sedan with a fuel economy and pricing of a compact car. It's called the Nissan Sylphy TB17 (previously referred to as G12, later referred to in Nissan press releases as TB17) and the evidence of what we're about to see that it's going to be driven by some complete idiot...

(audience laughing)

One day, probably in the hospital, you would normally noticed a price list covered in the classified ads section of something something something Shinbun and if I'm looking for a car that costs under two million yen plus VAT, I could be thinking something hmmm....all that money I've spent on a sub-two million yen car could have been used to buy something interesting like...Toyota Premio, Toyota Allion, Suzuki SX4 Sedan, Mitsubishi Galant Fortis, look! You could even have a Nissan Sylphy. Mind you, you could be a complete idiot to buy one of those...

2013 Nissan Sylphy

This is the new one. The new Nissan Sylphy TB17, pretty much known to be a cheaper alternative to the Nissan Teana J32. You can pick one of these up for 1,937,250 Japanese Yen but don't because with such pricing, it's less expensive than the Toyota Premio and Allion. Besides, it's a price worth a bag of bolts. On the upside though, it's less pricey than the less appreciated Suzuki Kizashi and hey, it's a Nissan. Every Japanese likes to drive one of those. So, why do I like it then?

2013 Nissan Sylphy interior

I like the tan interior, looks luxurious. I like the view. I like the optional sat-nav system, I like the 180kph speedo, the instrumental clusters, everything. I like that way. Somewhere up front is Nissan's brand new MRA8DE engine which was based on the MR18DE engine but with added twin variable valve timing system on both the intake and exhaust valves and uses a diamond-like carbon coating. When you put your foot down...nothing happens. You get a bit more noise and you might go a bit faster but it's a complete waste of time even though this comes with a new generation XTRONIC CVT. Might as well...relax, drink a cup of coffee, and calm myself down while driving the Sylphy. Handling? Well, I can move the furniture at home but for this new Sylphy though when I turn the steering wheel...nothing.

So it's rubbish to drive, I'm going slower than you, and I feel like a geography teacher with some elbow patches on my coat. But hey, I'm in a new Sylphy though.

2013 Nissan Sylphy
 
There's also one thing the new Sylphy ruined my life though. It's now a global midsize car built for the world market. China has one, USA has one, emerging markets may soon get one, Thailaind has one, this new model is becoming a global trendsetter as part of Nissan's so-called Power 88 plan. There's one thing...it's built on the same platform as the Nissan March K13 and the Nissan Latio N17. It maybe built from the people from Fukuoka Prefecture and it's a Nissan Latio underneath it but the Nissan Sylphy is what I referred to it as a Nissan Teana in Toyota Premio money.

Who cares if they gave it a poor rating by the eyes of foreigners? Who cares about depreciation? It's just something that goes everytime at Megamall or a nice house somewhere in Tagaytay. It's something that never hurts you all the time. For that, you need a Sylphy. Every time I'm driving one of these, it kicks me in the head and runs off my wallet. It costs me a thousand yen to fill it up and does 15.6km/L if I'm careful, I could rent a king-size garage to keep her in and I need to save some more for a car wash. Servicing wasn't so bad but it has to go several times as often.

Cheap thrills? Wanna try this...it's bloody terrifying.

Available Colors: White Pearl, Brilliant Silver Metallic, Deep Iris Grey Pearl Metallic, Sapphire Black Pearl, Radiant Red Pearl Metallic, and Steel Blue Metallic.

PRICE LIST:
1.8 S - 1,937,250 Yen
1.8 X - 2,094,750 Yen
1.8 G - 2,389,800 Yen

Photo: Nissan Motor Co., Ltd.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I'm really impressed with the speed performance of used Toyota Premio.