Monday, July 29, 2013

Gran Turismo 5: Classic Fiat Panda



Sometimes though, even the world of Gran Turismo can be a bit too notorious for featuring so many bangers in the franchise, one of those bangers was this, the first generation Fiat Panda. By the time I drove one of those, the first thing that came out in my mind is simple...What am I doing in this old banger anyway?



First of all, let's talk about how it looks like. The first generation Panda, launched in 1980, was styled by Giugiaro, which seems to be an interesting name because he's the man behind numerous works including the first generation VW Golf, the Lancia Delta, and the Maserati MC12. It's not quite bad for a Giugiaro-designed car even though it looks kinda resemble to the Fiat Uno, the car I rarely saw one in the streets when I was a kid. However, let's get back to the question...



What I have here is the one with the 1.0L engine, complete with electronic fuel injection. This engine develops a very disappointing 44HP of power and when I take my foot down on the pedal...that noise from its engine which has the same capacity as a 1-litre bottle of Coke is about as similar as a vibrating chair, only a bit too dull. So, when the noise is too dull, how about cornering? When careful, the cornering of the Panda seems a bit generous but no. The handling is not generous. If I was an old lady, most of my spine will shred every time I turn round a corner in the Panda. Painful, isn't it?

Understeer-wise, I could get likely be crashed. Yep, this banger is all horrid to me. I wonder how did the owners of this old Panda handle this so seriously?

Another thing about the first Panda that since its discontinuation in 2003, about 4.5 million units were produced, making it one of the most common cars you can expect one not just in Italy but in most parts in Europe. By the time the Panda is good to drive in the past, it garnered so much recognition and oh, it was placed 2nd in the European Car of the Year awards in its first full year of production.



For stupidity, this car has been in the butt of stupidity. I saw Clarkson made a limo out of it from an episode of Top Gear and then it got split into two. Also, this Panda got flipped over by a bunch of rockets for some Brainiac experiment about stuff NASA never tried. Remember those? Me too...

But still, despite being too horrid for today's world, the Panda is still one of the most memorable rides made by the Italians. Even though it's all crud, I still appreciate how the Panda gave it all it had for the drivers.

No comments: