Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Forza Horizon 2 - Barn Find #08: Maserati Tipo 61 Birdcage

Upon my arrival to the next Horizon Hub at Saint-Martin, I've received a barn find rumor regarding an abandoned Maserati lurking somewhere in the posh town of Nice.


The barn find is located over two miles from the Nice Horizon Hub or over 600 yards from the West Nice Speed Trap. I quickly grasp to that location by myself and visually. Because of the offroad path of West Nice is heavily exposed, with a few trees in sight, searching for the legendary Maserati is like threading a needle.



After moments of waiting, here it is!


The legendary Maserati Tipo 61 Birdcage is now ready for action! Sorry but my eyes are tearing up looking at a restored beauty but this is the eighth barn find I found and drove. There are two more out there.

Maserati was heavily involved in the world of motorsports since the dawn of time but as the famed Italian carmaker is struggling with their finances, their involvement in motorsport reached their climax and they made this. The Tipo 61 is their final attempt as it struggled to balance the expense of racing with profitability. It comes with the same 2.0L 4-cylinder engine from the 200S and it was positioned at 45 degrees to lower ride height and its center of gravity. For strengthening and weight loss purposes, one of the engineers designed the car's latticed space frame composed of small diamter tubing which shaped like the birdcage.

Stirling Moss and Dan Gurney were one of the aces that drove the Birdcage to victory at the 1960 Nurburgring 1000 in extreme weather conditions.

Anyway, that's enough history lesson but since I found the Birdcage Masis, it became my most valuable car in the game, eclipsing my McLaren P1 that I'm saving it for later. Amazing for a legendary machine to become one of the most valuable cars in the game right?

Speaking of which, I got myself another barn find. It's the ninth one! The second to the last! Will I find it? Nah, let's save the finding for later but for now, I got a race to attend to. See you later!

No comments: