Monday, August 15, 2016

Let's Do The News! (August 15, 2016)


- On the imminent burial of the late dictator Ferdinand E. Marcos, victims of the Martial Law asked the Supreme Court to halt the late dictator's burial at the Libingan ng mga Bayani. In their petition for  Certiorari and Prohibition with Application for a Temporary Restraining Order and/or Writ of Preliminary Injunction, victims led by former political detainees and activist leaders said the Department of National Defense, the Armed Forces of the Philippines and the Marcoses “ committed grave abuse of discretion amounting to lack or excess of jurisdiction in ordering and allowing the burial of the remains of Marcos at the national hero’s cemetery.”

- As around eight people died and 70,000 displaced during monsoon rains, the Malacanang officials asked for more time for transition of all emergency numbers to the 911 system. Communications Secretary Martin Andanar said the government is still going through the process of collapsing all local and national emergency numbers into 911 emergency system.

- Vice President Leni Robredo asked the Supreme Court, acting as the Presidential Electoral Tribunal to dismiss the protest filed against former senator Bongbong Marcos due to lack of merit and lack of jurisdiction of the PET over the grounds alleged in Marcos' election protest. The Marcos camp filed a complaint based on the action of COMELEC on the lease of the Vote Counting Machines from Smartmatic.

- A protest against police killing of a black male in Milwaukee turned violent. The incident began on Saturday when police stopped a car with a drive who was behaving suspiciously. The 23-year-old man escaped and was later killed. He was reportedly carrying a stolen firearm. Over 100 residents gathered in protest near the scene. Some of them turned violent, burning police vehicles and six businesses.

- The Islamic terrorist group Boko Haram has released a video apparently showing school girls they abducted over two years ago. The extremists abducted over 200 girls from a boarding school in a town in northeastern Nigeria and have threatened to sell them as slaves. Boko Haram posted the video on social media on Sunday. One of them is seen standing in front of about 50 girls.

- The electronic account from the Russian doping whistleblower Yulia Stepanova at the World Anti-Doping Agency may have been hacked. Officials said on Saturday that Stepanova's password was illegally obtained last week. They say that allowed another party to access her account.

- The man behind the iconic R2-D2 robot from the Star Wars franchise, Kenny Baker, passed away at the age of 81. A relative found his body at his home on Saturday. Baker, despite his dwarfism condition since birth, earned fame for playing the iconic R2-D2 role in the Star Wars franchise and he appeared in six Star Wars films from 1977 up to 2005. In the past few years, he has been suffering from a respiratory disease.

- Meanwhile, a new trailer for ROGUE ONE: A Star Wars Story hits the airwaves. The movie, served as the bridge between the prequel and the original, will hit theaters this 16th of December. Surprises in store in this official trailer!



- J-Pop boy band SMAP to break up at the end of this year but the five members will remain with their agency to pursue solo careers.

- Square Enix delays launch of the hotly-anticipated Final Fantasy XV game to the 29th of November, due to the addition of the new Master Version so game won't need a day-one patch.

TTFN!!!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Ask comments and questions here!