- PNP Director General Roland "Bato" Dela Rosa turned over the task of securing the New Bilibid Prison to a new set of Special Action Force units in Friday's ceremony. Dela Rosa said that 410 members of SAF have been rotated in to prevent the possibility of the elite police officers succumbing to bribe offers from inmates.
- The Armed Forces of the Philippines considered having a ceasefire between them and the Maute group to avoid further conflict. The AFP supports ongoing efforts to peacefully end the fighting between government forces and ISIS-inspired militants following President Duterte's statement that he would "befriend" the Maute group to prevent more conflict.
- The Department of Health will distribute condoms in schools nationwide as part of the effort to stop the spread of HIV/AIDS among the Filipino youth. According to Health Secretary Paulyn Ubial, this trend in the Philippines should be averted and they are looking to distribute condoms not only in health facilities, but even in non-traditional outlets like school clinics. The DOH would work with the DepEd to implement the program on a test-run basis.
- US President-elect Donald Trump named retired US Marine Corps General James Mattis as his Defense Secretary. Mattis once led the Marines on an expedition in Afghanistan and led the battle in Fallujah during the Iraq War. In 2005, he was criticized for saying it's a lot of fun to kill everyone, whom he described as bad men, in Afghanistan.
- United Nations secretary Ban Ki-moon has apologized to the people of Haiti over their failed efforts to combat the cholera outbreak. Haiti has been dealing with this outbreak since the earthquake six years ago. 9,000 people have died so far.
- Meanwhile, UN human rights experts urged the international community to stop what it calls ethnic cleansing in South Sudan. The team released a statement on Thursday following a 10-day visit to the country last month. The statement said there is already a steady process of ethnic cleansing underway in most areas using starvation, gang rape, and the burning of villages.
- Russian leader Vladimir Putin welcomes close economic ties with Japan through joint projects and programs. Putin delivered his annual state of the nation address to parliament on Thursday. He spent most of his speech discussing domestic issues before turning to diplomacy. He stressed the growing importance of strengthening ties with Asian countries, even China and India.
- Rolls-Royce teases their upcoming SUV that is set to launched soon. The company's attempt to created a full-size SUV showcased its finalized design apart from the camouflage.
|Teaser for Rolls-Royce's first SUV|
- Kia is teasing their upcoming high-performance saloon with a test round the Nurburgring.
- Former NASCAR driver Jeff Gordon steps out from retirement to drive the new Cadillac endurance racer at the Rolex Daytona 24 Hour endurance race.