- Typhoon Nina (Nock-Ten), which battered the Bicol region and parts of Calabarzon over the Christmas holidays, made landfall over the western island of Lubang on Monday afternoon on its way to the South China Sea. In a 2PM advisory, PAGASA lifted several cyclone warning signals in affected areas as Nina was in the vicinity of Lubang, Occidental Mindoro where it made its eighth landfall.
- The National Bureau of Investigation will investigate the first media slay under the Duterte administration. Journalist Larry Que was killed in Catanduanes last week. Justice Secretary Vitaliano Aguirre II said he ordered the NBI to identify and hunt down the suspect and to determine the motive behind the murder.
- US President-elect Donald Trump intends to dissolve his controversial Trump Foundation, which has been embroiled in controversies over its fundraising and expenditures. Trump issued a statement late Saturday afternoon saying "The Foundation has done enormous good works over the years in contributing millions of dollars to countless worthy groups, including supporting veterans, law enforcement officers and children. However, to avoid even the appearance of any conflict with my role as President I have decided to continue to pursue my strong interest in philanthropy in other ways."
- When President-elect Trump said he will expand his nation's nuclear arsenal and collaborate with Russia's Vladimir Putin for an unprecedented scale of arms race a few days ago, the UN General Assembly approved a historic resolution to launch negotiations in March 2017 on a treaty that will ban nuclear weapons once and for all. 113 countries supported it while 35 have opposed it and 13 are abstaining it. The majority of the support for a nuclear ban comes from Africa, Latin America, the Caribbean, Southeast Asia and the Pacific.
- A Russian military plane carrying 92 people, including dozens of Red Army Choir singers, dancers and orchestra members, crashed into the Black Sea on its way to Syria on Sunday, killing everyone on board, according to reports. One of the Tu-145 planes had disappeared from radar screens at 0525 MSK, two minutes after taking off from Sochi, where it had stropped to refuel from Moscow, on its way to Syria.
- A teaser for the upcoming season of Top Gear is now up as it sets to air on BBC Two next year.
- Singer George Michael passed away at the age of 53. George Michael was famous for his hit songs like "The Edge of Heaven" and "Careless Whisper." He died at his home in Goring, Oxfordshire at 1:42 PM on Christmas Day.
- The anime adaptation of Cygames' Granblue Fantasy mobile game has delayed to Spring 2017.
- Announced during the special Christmas Party Live event, a new PriPara anime is coming this Spring 2017, featuring a new look that is different from the PriPara anime kids are familiar with.