- President Rodrigo Roa Duterte visited Leyte and gave additional cash assistance to victims of the December 28 town plaza explosion.Duterte talked to six blast victims still confined at the the state-run health facility. All the patients already discharged form the hospital also came for a 40-minute meeting with the president.
- December 30, 2016 marks the 120th death anniversary of Dr. Jose Rizal and during his commemoration at the Rizal Park in Manila City, President Duterte said the Philippines is still fighting for independence 120 years after Rizal's death.
- The Department of Social Welfare and Development needs 614 million pesos to help victims affected from Typhoon Nina.
- Senator Alan Peter Cayetano will replace Perfecto Yasay Jr. as the new Department of Foreign Affairs Secretary starting in mid-2017. Duterte said he would give the post to his former running mate after Yasay steps down and returns to United States to fulfill his obligations.
- The White House has announced sanctions against Russian entities in response to cyber activity in the United States and harassment of US personnel. Russia, meanwhile. said it is set to respond in the recent sanctions and the expulsion of Russian officials. Then, US President-Elect Donald Trump says the US must move on to bigger things than imposing sanctions against Russia.
- The Syrian government and rebels have agreed to implement a nationwide ceasefire, which began at midnight on Thursday, local time. The government of President Bashar al-Assad, its ally Russia, and opposition supporting Turkey announced the agreement almost at the same time on Thursday. A leading opposition group says it supports the ceasefire.
- Volvo adds Skype to its infotainment systems, allowing drivers to make video calls while on the go.
- Over 170,000 visitors attended Comiket 91 in the first day.