- A party-list lawmaker decided not to implement the controversial "vanity tax" on cosmetic products and beauty services following backlash from netizens. Last week, Ako Bicol Partylist Rep. Rodel Batocabe proposed the imposition of 10-to-30 percent vanity tax on cosmetic products and beauty services as an alternative to the VAT implemented on gasoline.
- The first Philippine eagle, Pag-asa, turned 25 years old yesterday. Pag-asa is the first to be produced under the captive breeding program of the non-profit Philippine Eagle Foundation through the combined artificial and natural incubation technique taught by the World Center for Birds of Prey. In 1995, it replaced the maya as the national animal of the Philippines under President Fidel V. Ramos' decision.
- The Catholic Church reiterated their stance against the legalization of divorce in the Philippines suding the feast of Sto. Nino or Child Jesus yesterday. Manila Auxiliary Bishop Broderick Pabillo warned that divorce would destroy the foundation of families and that children would be the ones to suffer most.
- As the inauguration of US President-elect Donald Trump draws near, a growing number of Democratic lawmakers who will boycott Trump's inauguration following the Martin Luther King weekend spat between him and Congressman John Lewis that the Trump team tried to tamp down on Sunday. VP-elect Mike Pence and Reince Priebus expressed disappointment in the Georgia congressman's remarks on Trump's legitimacy.
- Meanwhile, Donald Trump said that he will lift sanctions against Russia in exchange for a nuclear arms reduction deal with Vladimir Putin. Trump said he wanted both the world superpowers' nuclear arsenal to be "reduced very substantially."
- Following the resignation of Deputy First Minister Martin McGuinness, UK's Northern Ireland minister is set to call an early election in the province on Monday. McGuinness stood down in protest at First Minister Arlene Foster's handling of a controversial green-energy scheme, risking political paralysis in the region as Britain plans to leave the European Union. Secretary of State James BRokenshire will be obliged to dissolve the assembly if the Sinn Fein party fails to name a replacement within the 1700 hour deadline.
- Comedian and Late Late Show presenter James Corden will be joining the cast of the upcoming Ocean's Eight film.
- American pop star group Fifth Harmony will be officially performing in Manila on the 5th of April, 2017, part of their 7/27 Tour. Their Philippine leg of their tour will be at the SM MOA Arena on the said date.