- One of the policemen involved in the kidnapping and slay of a Korean national will not be a state witness after he was identified as the alleged killer, according to Justice Secretary Vitaliano Aguirre II. The Department of Justice found probable cause to file kidnap for ransom with homicide charges against SPO3 Ricky Sta. Isabel, SPO4 Roy Villegas, Ramon, Yalung, and four others in relation to the disappearance of businessman Jee Ick Joo.
- More areas have been hit by floods as torrential rains continued in Southern and Eastern Mindanao. PAGASA said the rainfall brought by the tail-end of a cold front and a low-pressure area that are taking place at the same time at this part of the country. Widespread flooding and landslides in Mindanao and the Visayas have left 18 people died.
- Government troops rescued two Filipino hostages of the Abu Sayyaf yesterday morning in Indanan, Sulu, according to the military. The victims were rescued by elements of the JTFS led by Lt. Col. Arnel Baccay of Air Intelligence Service Group and Joint Intelligence Task Force Sulu led by Lt. Col. Yusop Hassan at about 0915 hours local time.
- Despite President Rodrigo Duterte's harsh remarks against the Catholic Church, Pope Francis vows to bless the Philippines and its leader. “When I had the opportunity of kissing the hand of the Pope, I said, ‘Bless the Philippines, Your Holiness,’ and his answer was, ‘Yes, I will also bless your president,‘” Presidential Adviser on the Peace Process Jesus Dureza said in a video clip in St. Peter’s Square at the Vatican shown on television yesterday.
- With the inauguration of US President-Elect Donald Trump is set tomorrow, he was at the Lincoln Memorial for his welcoming party with musical performances by singer Toby Keith, Lee Greenwood, 3 Doors Down, and many others.. Trump vowed that he will unify the country, promising changes, while pledging to "make America great for all our people".
- Notorious Mexican drug lord Joaquin "El Chapo" Guzman has been extradited from a northern Mexico prison to the Unites States, a day before Trump's inauguration. Guzman was one of the world's most wanted drug kingpins until he was captured in January last year. Six months earlier, he escaped from the penitentiary through a mile-long tunnel.
- 20 people have died when a 17-story building in Tehran, Iran, collapsed while firefighters were trying to douse the fire. The building went down about 3-and-a-half hours after the fire broke out on Thursday.
- A 2017 Ford F-150 Raptor will be auctioned at Barrett-Jackson tomorrow. It will be featured with a special paint job selected by its eventual owner while proceeds will benefit JDRF, a charity that provides funding for type 1 diabetes research.
- Former Doctor Who actress Karen Gillan will reprise her Guardians of the Galaxy character Nebula at the upcoming Avengers: Infinity War films next year.