- A warship from Russia's Pacific Fleet arrived in Manila in time for a maritime exercise with the Philippine Navy. Reports told that the Russian vessels are in the Philippines for a "goodwill visit." President Duterte has been expressing his desire to forge stronger ties with Russia as part of his administration's independent foreign policy.
- A bill to put up LGBT desks in police stations will be on the House floor soon, with its author saying a law is needed to make the help desks a permanent part of the Philippine National Police. Filed by Batangas Representative Vilma Santos-Recto, House Bill 2952 seeks to amend parts of the PNP Reform and Reorganization Act mandating the creation of women's desk that will also serve lesbians' gays, bisexuals, and transgenders if the bill is passed into law.
- Budget Secretary Benjamin Diokno has likened redundant fiscal incentives to "pork barrel" as he cited the need to review tax perks that have led to significant losses of state revenues. Diokno said tax incentives have resulted in revenue losses equivalent to 1 to 2 percent of the country's gross domestic product.
- Islamic State militants have claimed responsibility for the attack on a nightclub in Istanbul during the New Year's celebrations that killed 39. In the latest in a series of ISIS-linked attacks in Turkey, revelers at Istanbul's Reina nightclub were attacked by a gunman in the early hours of Sunday morning. Turkish police continue the manhunt against the gunman behind the attack.
- A US presidency expert warned President-elect Donald Trump about his Twitter use. The expert said Trump's policy directions are hard to predict, and his Twitter posts are the only clues but cautioned that announcing policies via Twitter can cause confusion. He called it problematic that Trump used the platform to announce nuclear polices and to criticize China.
- Chrysler will showcase their Portal Concept at this week's CES in Las Vegas, which is created by millennials, for millennials, and featuring semi-autonomous technology that can be upgradable.
|2017 Chrysler Portal Concept|
- Online eSports Racing Game, iRacing, will feature Porsches, making it the fourth game franchise to feature the famed German automaker since EA exclusivity ended last month.
- Benedict Cumberbatch will officially reprise his Doctor Strange role in the upcoming Thor Ragnarok film.