- The leader of the Khilafa Islamiya Philippines terrorist group, Mohammad Jaafar Maguid, also known as Abu Shareefa Al-Filibini, was killed in an encounter with police past 0100 hours local time in a beach resort in Kiamba, Sarangani. Police agents who cornered Maguid attempted to subdue him but he resisted and pulled out a gun, prompting them to immediately neutralize him.
- The National Privacy Commission found COMELEC Chairman Juan Andres "Andy" Bautista criminally liable for the breach on the database last year. Long before the May 2016 elections, the COMELEC website was hacked, leaking the data of voters.
- President Rodrigo Duterte has named dancer and blogger Mocha as one of the board members of the Movie and Television Review and Classification Board. Her appointment was confirmed by Executive Secretary Salvador Medialdea.
- Australian boxer Jeff Horn, who was one of the shortlist of Manny Pacquiao's next opponents, said he's looking forward to fight wit the legendary Filipino boxer. Horn, age 28, is the no.2 contender to Pacquiao's WBO welterweight championship and Top Rank chief Bob Arum planning to hold Pacquiao's next fight outside the US, probably Australia to be next.
- New UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres and US President-elect Donald Trump made their first phone conversation. A spokesperson said the two had a very positive discussion on US-UN relations and the Secretary-General will look forward to work alongside Trump after his inauguration.
- Yukiya Amano will serve as director general of the International Atomic Energy Agency for the third time unopposed. Amano is set to finish his second term in his position by the end of November 2017.
- A 105-year-old Frenchman set a new world record for cycling the furthest distance in one hour for riders aged 105 and older. Robert Marchand rode over 22.5km at an indoor venue on the outskirts of Paris on Wednesday.
- Tesla began their battery production at their Gigafactory, which officially opened last July. The batteries will be sued in the Powerwall 2 and Powerpack 2 electricity storage devices, as well as the upcoming Model 3 car. The first batteries will go into the storage devices, with Model 3 battery production beginning in the second quarter of 2017.
- Kia will launch the all-new, third-generation, Morning compact hatchback on the 17th of January.
|2017 Kia Morning|
- Disney Channel's hit TV series, Girl Meets World, ends with the series finale episode titled "Girl Meets Goodbye" on the 20th of January. Time to bid farewell to Maya and Riley's life and times of growing up.