- President Rodrigo Duterte highlighted the fight against injustice, corruption, and abuse of power in his message for this year's Traslacion of the Black Nazarene. Duterte said Filipinos keep their faith as they strive to fight the ills of society. Duterte describe as "phenomenal" the expression of faith of the millions of Black Nazarene devotees, which comes in the form of gratitude, petition, and sacrifice.
- Senate President Aquilino "Koko" Pimentel III said he could not blame Malacañang for the decision to probe reports on an alleged plot by supporters of Vice President Leni Robredo to oust President Duterte which have surfaced online and called "LeniLeaks."
- Bong Go, President Duterte's longtime aide denied that the chief executive visited a cancer hospital in China while he was out of public eye during the first few days of the year. Go said the president never left the country during his private time.
- US President-elect Donald Trump was unamused over Meryl Streep's Golden Globe speech. Trump never seen Ms. Streep's remarks or other parts of the Globes ceremony, but added that he was "not surprised" that he had been drawn flak by the "liberal movie people."
- Former Iranian President Akbar Hashemi Rafsanjani passed way at the age of 82. Media reports that he died on Sunday at a Tehran hospital after suffering a heart attack. The Iranian government has announced three days of national mourning.
- 20 people have died in Europe as freezing temperatures grip the continent. Snowstorms have hit many parts of Europe for the past several days.
- British scientists warned that a huge iceberg is on the risk of breaking away from Antarctica. Members of Project MIDAS at the University of Swansea in Wales have been monitoring a rift across the Larsen C ice shelf. This extends west on the Antarctic Peninsula. The say the rift suddenly grew longer last month and is now more than 80km. There are 20km left before the shelf breaks apart.
- The popular Battle Girl High School app game will spawn a TV anime coming this Summer 2017.
- British car company Ginetta will join the 2018 FIA World Endurance Championship with their new chassis.