- Former Senator Ramon "Bong" Revilla Jr. has asked the Sandiganbayan to junk the plunder case against him in connection with his alleged involvement in the pork barrel scam. He also asked the court to declare "void" all previous proceedings in connection with the case. The motion came three days before the scheduled first day of the trial of the case on Thursday.
- The Department of Justice issued an immigration lookout bulletin against 20 political consultants of the National Democratic Front following the cancellation of peace talks. The government peace panel has formally written a notice of termination of the Joint Agreement on Safety and Immunity Guarantees to the Communist Party of the Philippines-New People's Army-National Democratic Front.
- The Department of Justice has yet to decide who among the suspects of the Jee Ick Joo murder case last year can be enrolled in its witness protection program. Justice Secretary Vitaliano Aguirre II said the joint inquiry of the Philippine National Police and National Bureau of Investigation would need to be concluded before the DOJ could determine the people who would be admitted as state witnesses.
- US President Donald Trump said that he will take the legal case over his temporary travel ban to the Supreme Court if necessary. Trump told reporters that his administration will take the case "through the system" as his executive order is very important to ensure the country's security.
- Two players from the New England Patriots, the team that won the Super Bowl LI last Sunday, will boycott a customary visit to the White House due to their opposition against President Trump. Devin McCourty reportedly told that he did not feel that he would be accepted in the White House, "with the president having so many strong opinions and prejudices." while Martellus Bennett expressed his opposition to Trump and told reporters that he would not go to the White House and people would know why.
- 19 people are reportedly killed from a suicide attack outside the Supreme Court in Kabul, Afghanistan. Police say the apparent suicide bombing occurred in a parking lot used by court employees as they were heading home.
- The Tokyo metropolitan government and Shibuya Ward conducted a disaster drill in case of a massive earthquake struck public transport and strands vast numbers of people. The drill took place outside Shibuya Station and involved crowds of people, including foreigners, who were unable to return to their homes or lodgings,
- Japanese defense authorities are proceeding with offshore work in Okinawa to relocate a US military base in the southern prefecture. The Japanese government plans to build a new facility there to replace the US Marine Corps Futenma Air Station, currently located in a densely populated district.
- A Japanese high court has upheld a four-year prison sentence for a South Korean male behind the blast in the Yasukuni Shrine in November 23rd, 2015. Public prosecutors said Jeon Chang-han took metal pipes stuffed with gunpowder into a restroom at the shrine and detonated them. The explosion destroyed the restroom's ceiling.
- The new-generation Ford Expedition full-size SUV has been unveiled prior to this week's Chicago Auto Show. It features an aluminum bodywork, 3.5L EcoBoost V6 engines, a host of safety tech, and the brand new Terrain Management System.
|2018 Ford Expedition|
- Honda Motor Co., Ltd. and Hitachi Automotive System announced plans to establish a joint venture company for the development, manufacture, and sales of motors for electric vehicles. The two companies have signed a memorandum of understanding and will proceed to conduct discussions for the establishment of the new agreement set to be inked next month.
- Some of Japan's popular anime characters were named as ambassadors of Japanese culture and set to be appeared on licensed Tokyo 2020 Olympics merchandise. Such characters are Astro Boy, Sailor Moon, Crayon Shin-chan, Luffy from One Piece, Naruto, Jibanyan from Yokai Watch, Goku from Dragon Ball Super, and Maho Girls Precure's Cure Miracle and Cure Magical.