Monday, March 20, 2017
Let's Do The News! (March 20, 2017)
- House Speaker Pantaleon Alvarez, a staunch ally of the Duterte administration, wants to impeach Vice President Leni Robredo for questioning over their bloody war on drugs. Duterte himself is facing an impeachment motion, with lower house representative Gary Alejano accusing Duterte of offences ranging from conflict of interest and assets concealment to drugs-related extrajudicial killings and operating a “death squad” during the 22 years he was Davao City mayor. VP Robredo issued a strong rebuke of Duterte's war on drugs last week, describing it in a video sent to the UN as an issue of public health that cannot be solved "with bullets alone."
- Former Senator Leticia Ramos-Shalani, the younger sister of former president Fidel V. Ramos, passed away earlier today, March 20, 2017, at the age of 87. Her death was confirmed by her daughter Lila Ramos Shahani, Philippine Commission Secretary General of United Nations Educational, Scientific, and Cultural Organization, in her Facebook post. She was diagnosed with Stage 4 Cancer.
- Senator Bam Aquino told his fellow senators not to be pressured by politics and show that even though threatened, they can do their duties without being influenced, in response to House Speaker Pantaleon Alvarez's threat that he will file an impeachment complaint against VP Leni Robredo.
- US officials began taking fingerprints of asylum seekers in an Australian-run camp on the Pacific island of Nauru on Monday, signalling that vetting of applicants for resettlement in what US President Donald Trump called it a "dumb deal".
- Norway is now named the happiest country in the world according to a report from the World Happiness Report 2017, dethroning Denmark on the top ten happiest countries in the world followed by Iceland, Switzerland, Finland, Netherlands, Canada, New Zealand, Australia and Sweden.
- Actress Vivian Velez joined a rally with a small group demanding the impeachment and resignation of Vice President Leni Robredo.
- Mad Max actor Tom Hardy collaborates with director Ridley Scott once again for a Netflix original movie titled War Party, a US Navy SEAL drama film.