Monday, September 17, 2012

Two hard-working Chevys for the hard-working

Two hard-working Chevys for the hard-working petrolheads

Really, about a couple of weeks ago, I got a Chevrolet Nova SS 396 for a test drive on Car Town and I spend several days (well, a 1 week limit for a test drive, get enough wins to keep it) to get enough wins to keep the Nova SS 396. Then, earlier, I won the 1953 Chevrolet Corvette C1, which is the first ever Corvette, on a weekly challenge to see how much points I racked up on a drag race (win or lose, it doesn't matter). I got over the 1,250,000 point mark to achieve the weekly challenge prize.

These were the Chevys I worked so hard to get it on Car Town but I really wonder what is like to take a spin on these two classic Chevys. So I have to play Forza Motorsport 4 to see what is like to be on the 1953 Corvette and the Nova SS 396...

The genesis of the Corvettes

1953 Chevrolet Corvette (C1):

The first generation Chevrolet Corvette was debuted in 1963 and it was truly a successful car that captures the essence of the 1957 Stingray Racer that shook the world with its futuristic design.

By the time it was debuted in 1953, about 300 units were built, making it one of the lowest-volume Corvettes on that generation. Most models do come with Polo White exterior color with red interiors, and black canvas soft tops. The order guides showed that both the heaters and AM radios are optional features which most 1953 models have both. The price to build a Corvette in 1953 was $3490.

In December 1953, Chevrolet opened a St. Louis plant to produce ten thousand Corvettes annually but negative customer comments led sales to plummet, probbably because of its problems such as the quality of the fiberglass body, water leaks, and doors that could open while running.

Nova SS 396 - setting the standards for the Chevy muscles

1969 Chevrolet Nova SS 396:

Chevrolet redesigned the Nova for the 1967 model year while retaining its tamed design. Only this time, it uses the same platform as the Chevrolet Camaro so it can fit big block engines. If that wasn't enough, they even introduced the SS 396 model, which features a 396-cid V8 engine, in 1968 and this produces 350BHP of power.

Car and Driver reported the Nova SS 396 as the "junior Chevy with the senior engine" and it was an instantly recognized and feared street cleaner that most should have expected but as wild as it at hoped. 

My verdict:
The classic Corvette C1 wasn't really a bad car to drive. Sure, it may be a slow start when it was first debuted in 1953 but when I drove this first Corvette, it doesn't really want to mess me up, not unlike the present Corvettes of today that always loves an assault to the driver. This one's a bit a goodie. Despite that the one I have has a two-speed transmission, it's always a great car if you want to go out cruising on the fantastic mountain roads. It is as romantic as taking your date at a drive-in theater.

The Nova SS 396 though, that is a very tricky muscle car to get off the line. It maybe a muscle car that works well on straight lines but because of my iffy gear changes, it's a bit nasty to master the Nova SS 396. I need more time to master it and yes, I REALLY DID NEED MORE because when it comes to handling, I really have to be careful or else I would mess this up. Despite everything, the Nova SS 396 really is the fruit of my labor. I wonder if there are loyalists to this Nova SS 396?

Anyway, let's find out which of these fruits of my labor is faster round the Top Gear Test Track and of course, handing them over by a tamed racing driver...




The 1953 Corvette C1 did it in 1:42.791 while the 1969 Chevrolet Nova SS 396 did it in 1:34.016 so I guess these fruits of my labor really worked hard for me. REALLY REALLY worked hard to win my heart. American iron always roars back!

No comments: