Sunday, May 13, 2018

Forza Motorsport 7: Civic Type R vs. Road Atlanta

A few moments ago, I tried out the brand new Honda Civic Type R on Forza Motorsport 7 via a free DLC following this month's update and I was so impressed that not only it's faster than the old model it replaces, but I managed to beat the real world lap time set by The Stig round the Top Gear Track. No tricks, no tuneups. Just honest-to-stock specs and I did it quicker than The Stig. Anyway, as you are wondering what the FK8 and I are on about, this is what we're on about, here, at Road Atlanta.



Why Road Atlanta? It's plain simple. To promote the new FK8 Civic Type R, Honda and Forza Motorsport 7 team up for a little real life vs. digital challenge called R vs. R.  As Soichiro Honda once said, "If Honda does not race, there is no Honda." In that mixed reality race between real and virtual, Honda enlisted IndyCar driver Graham Rahal and pro gamer Peter Jeakins (a.k.a. TheSlapTrain) to see which one is the best. Rahal's at Road Atlanta driving the Type R in real life while TheSlapTrain's at Turn 10 studios, driving the similar one in the virtual side. I can't tell which because that car hasn't been in Forza 7 yet so what Civic was he driving virtually? Theoretically, the old FK2, I suppose, but never mind about that. At the end, the pro driver has beaten the pro gamer at a rate of .871 seconds, 1:46.664 vs. 1:47.535.



Now that the FK8 Civic Type R is finally at Forza Motorsport 7 to all the players like you and me, it's time for me to do something in return by beating the real world lap time set by Rahal himself. So, how does an idiot like me playing with the controller have what it takes to match the time set in the real world by a pro driver? Before you say everything else, I just want to tell you that everything's stock just like how I did before setting every car for a lap. No tuneup tricks whatsoever, in case you're wondering.

Anyway, with all set, it's time to see if I have the R to take down both Rs. Roll the tape.



After a lap round Road Atlanta, I did it in...1:44.293. Unofficially but over two seconds faster than the real-world lap time set by Graham Rahal! How's that for a Herculean objective?



Having managed to beat The Stig's lap time and Graham Rahal's, I can happily conclude that the FK8 Civic Type R really is the best Civic Type R ever made. It may not be the king of hot hatches but it's certainly the best front-wheel drive sportscar I have ever driven and with this one, everybody wins. Now that I got it all sorted out, I prepped up a little surprise for everyone to see...





You know what this calls for? A Poppin' Party time! Get it?

No comments: